Thursday, November 29, 2007

Blocked by one website!

Ack! I had the most frustrating problem ever today and it took me almost two hours to figure out how to fix it. I was trying to access the website http://www.data-face.com only to have my connection time out all the time. I figured the problem might just be the server so I decided to just leave it alone. A few hours later, I tried and still connection time out. Flabbergasted, I email the site owner (who is also my boss) and told him the site is down...only to find out how he was having no problems, and then I asked around and NO ONE ELSE was having problems.

I then tried to use all the computers in my house to access the website and none of them worked. I figured it must have to do with something with my home network and perhaps the firewall was screwing things up. So I went into the settings tried to screw around it and nothing worked. Went ahead to call the Telus support hoping they could figure out what was going on. Went through this lengthly process:

  1. Turned off my firewall

  2. Turned off my anti-virus software

  3. Screwed around with my webbrowser privacy settings



Frustrated because I thought we would never solve the problem, the technical support suggested that maybe it was the webserver blocking my router's ip address! Never thought of that...and he suggested that I grab a new router ip address by turning off my router, unplugging the phone jack, etc. Of course by doing this, I totally forgot that I would lose my phone connection because I was using VoIP, which by the way is the most frustrating thing in the world...I just hate it because it is so unreliable and as soon as the internet is dead so is your phone. Anyways, I told him I would call him back and try the steps.

And to my surprise it solved the problem!!! The website was actually blocking me!! First time something like this has ever happened to me.

I hate computers so much some times...

No comments: