Sunday, November 8, 2009

Installing Civilization 4 and Upgrading it

So I purchased Civilization Chronicles like over two years ago and finally decided to actually installed it. The initial install was fine, but I wanted to upgrade to the latest patch. Boy was that painful. First off, there was an option to "check for updates" in the game's advanced menu section. After clicking on this, it asked me whether I wanted to update. Of course I clicked "yes" and not surprisely it failed because I am running crapvista. So I decided to manually go and try to download the latest patch. Going to the official website of civilization IV doesn't actually give have the latest patch installed interestingly enough.

Knowing that the latest was 1.7.4 (because the in-game update said so) I searched and downloaded it. Went to install it and well it failed stating that I had version 1.0.9 installed and I needed to uninstall it. Yahhh...I figured it was because I had to apply an earlier patch. So I went and downloaded 1.6.1 and I got that installed. Whew. Then I tried the 1.7.4 patch it worked too. When I tried to start the game, it failed complaining that of this d3dx9_32.dll problem.

UGHHH. Googled and I found this forum post which solved the issue. Finally! But then it turns out my laptop can't run it because my video card sucks :(

Oh well hope this helps you though!

No comments: