Thursday, November 27, 2008

Setting up my Dell Inspiron 1420

Update Nov 28th: So finally done the whole works of reformating my laptop and installing all the drivers. I then proceeded to do all the recommended updates for my windows OS. After that was done, my sister rebooted and then I got this constant BLUESCREEN OF DEATH. Like I couldn't get back into windows. One of the stupid windows updates was causing my laptop to fail to boot. UGH!!!!! I hate computers!!! Anyways to solve this, I turned off automatic download and install of window updates, and chose to select which updates to install. So far I've chosen all the important ones aside from the odd windows mail security updates which I didn't bother because I don't use windows mail. I am not sure exactly what is causing this bluescreen of death. But I am installing the updates in separate groups so if one group fails, then the OS can be restored to the last system restore point which can be done by popping in the OS cd and choosing "repair system"

This latest experience with PCs has actually got me contemplating whether I should be getting a "crapintosh." I hate them...but I can't stand this downtime. It's killing me. I have so much work to do.


Getting my replacement hard drive for my Dell has been a complete pain the butt, but I finally got it done. Now the next ignoring part is to reinstall all the drivers/programs. For the first time, I decided to call Dell to get the "correct" way to install everything. So here is a documentation of the steps that I took:

Assuming that the hard drive has been wiped clean of data and we are starting a completely new install of the OS



  • Pop in the Dell Media Direct CD and let the computer boot from it. When prompt on the selection, choose the 1st option which is to partition everything to the C: drive and then let it do this. This will create a partition D: which has about 3 GB for the Dell Media Direct which allows you to play movies and DVDs. (Don't really have to do this, but apparently if I don't I won't be able to play DVDs unless I find a decoder.

  • After the Dell Media Direct has been installed, pop in the OS and let the system boot from that CD. Follow the instructions until you reach the partition screen. You should see two partitions. One with the Media Direct, and another containing everything else. You delete the one partition that is NOT media direct. You can then choose to re-setup a partition and extend from it. And then choose to have the OS installed at one of the new partitions.

    The technician told me to delete and then re-setup a partition. I have no idea why we have to do this, but I just followed his advice.

  • After the OS is installed, then let the system boot up and pop in the drivers CD.
    Now install these drivers in this order:

    Always choose to restart later unless specified.


    1. Notebook system (under Utilities)

    2. Intel Chipset Driver

    3. Rioch

    4. Video (should be at the bottom)

    5. Restart the computer now

    6. Audio

    7. Webcam

    8. Touchpad

    9. Broadcom (Network)

    10. Dell wireless - except in US, Japan (Network)

    11. Quickset

    12. Dell wireless bluetooh



  • After all these drivers have been installed, restart the system again.

  • After the system has been rebooted, put into the media direct CD and then follow the instructions to let it install. It will take awhile depending on the size of te hard drive. But once you are done installing that, your system is ready to go!

No comments: